Monday, September 27, 2010

1st Fundamental Thought - Healthy Living

I was thinking to myself while sitting in the train that day what article should I write about in my blog and thought that since I included in my blog a name called Compass, it should also incorporate the ideas that made me decide the name of the blog in the first place. Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I needed to keep a journal or a memoir on the ideas that I believe would survive time immemorial throughout human history. I believe I am looking for a sort of compass to guide myself and if I may say humanity’s search for meaning in this very physical existence. Since the ideas itself is on four main factors that drives human reason, logic and behavior, I have decided to break it into four portions to give each one ample space to be reflected upon. Call it a 4 part mini-series on what would be considered as important ideas to keep in mind when facing this new millennium. Without further introductions, let’s get started.

The first of which I consider the utmost important is definitely Health. Without a healthy body which is the engine to drive your thoughts forward and into action, you might as well forget the other 3 other major thoughts. You might as well focus on regaining your health or else you would be too sick or weak to move to greener pastures. While a majority of people may insist that your mind is the more important portion of the equation, your mind is still attached to your body and your body to your health. Just as the Buddha discovered that by fasting in excess and not taking care of your body well enough or in proportion (as in participating in the extremes rather than the Middle Way), he could not have found enlightenment. It has also dawned on me that in order to think creatively or perform extraordinarily in any endeavors, I would still have to be in great shape. I was sick not too long ago and the feeling during that period can be described as just horrible. Being fed with antibiotics and plastered with medication that makes you feel sleepy or lethargic is not a situation that anybody wants to be in especially for long stretches.

What’s the solution?
  • By feeding your body the right kind of foods or proper nutrition
  • Taking the appropriate supplements (like vitamins)
  • Preferably continuous 7 to 8 hour sleep cycles
  • Daily exercise (yes, daily) or at a bare minimum 3 to 4 times a week for 30 minutes or more
  • A daily dose of sunlight
  • Self-massage or get somebody to do it for you
  • Maintaining proper hygiene and sanitary practice

Remember to keep this as top priority before any other thoughts since this alone may determine whether you literally live your life the way you meant to live or put yourself into an early grave.

No comments:

Post a Comment